In 2008 we moved the brewery from our old premises in St Keverne. We are now located in what was formerly RAF Treleaver. The building is a huge relic of the Cold War, disused since the 1950s. We have converted and occupy a small part of the building.
After the Second World War a chain of Rotor R6 nuclear bunkers were built in response to the nuclear threat from the Soviet Union. They were intended to function as early warning radar stations, and as centres for regional government and administration in the event of a nuclear war. Our building was located to look out to the Atlantic.
The buildings were constructed in the early 1950s. Our building was completed in about 1954, and was operational for only a short while. The bunkers quickly became redundant due to technological advances, and our building was decommissioned in the late 1950s.
(Our thanks to Subterranean Britannica for this info - to find out more visit www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/features/rotor/ or www.thetimechamber.co.uk/sites/Civil/Rotor.php ).
The building sat more or less empty for 50-odd years. In 2007 we started to convert a part of the building, and moved in during 2008.
PLEASE NOTE – the brewery only occupies a part of the building. The remainder is partly derelict and partly in use for agricultural storage. Parts of the building are dark and contain dangerous voids. The building is NOT open to the public. It is potentially extremely dangerous. While we are generally happy enough to show people around (if we have the time!), please do not go poking about uninvited.